With temperatures soaring across the country Summer is definitely in full swing. Our latest NutritionConfidence recipe is a refreshing, delicious Rooibos, Pomegranate & Cinnamon Iced Tea. We love it because it’s packed with flavour and the perfect alternative to sugar-sweetened ice tea!
Cinnamon, the spice hero:
Cinnamon provides a natural sweet taste to food and beverages, without adding calories and research suggests that cinnamon may have a beneficial effect on short term blood glucose control in type 2 diabetics. In traditional herbal medicine cinnamon is considered a remedy for respiratory, digestive and gynaecological ailments.
(Makes 2 L)
4 rooibos teabags
2 L water
1 cinnamon stick (+/- 5g)
1 orange, sliced with skin on
1 pomegranate, pitted
Honey, xylitol or sugar to taste (optional)
Ice to serve
How to make it
– Boil 2L of water.
– Put the tea bags into a large jug or bowl (min 2L), and add the boiling water.
– Add the cinnamon stick and orange slices.
– Leave the tea to cool to room temperature, or even better, leave to steep over night.
– Strain the tea to remove the teabags, cinnamon and orange
– Stir in honey, xylitol or sugar adding little bits at a time until the desired sweetness is reached. Diabetics, remember to use xylitol for a sugar-free option.
– Add the fresh pomegranate jewels and top up with ice to serve.
– Serve in large jars for a vintage feel and add some fresh herbs or edible flowers for a fresh summery touch.