Finally, a dessert that is as yummy as it is ‘good for you’. We love this ‘Raw Avocado Chocolate Mousse’ as a very clever alternative to regular chocolate mousse. A plant based chocolate alternative, the mousse is packed with healthy unsaturated fat and an ideal alternative for vegans. Besides this perk, it contains none of the major allergens (cows milk, egg, soya, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat/gluten) and is ideal for individuals suffering from allergies to these food items.
Our dietitians say:
Avocado pears contain primarily mono-unsaturated fats that have been shown to assist in keeping your heart healthy! They are also a good source of Vitamin E, which keeps your skin healthy and speeds up healing, as well as protecting red blood cells; Folic Acid, which helps with the production of red blood cells; and Selenium, which is an integral part of anti-oxidants (these help protect body cells from the damaging effects of free radicals and also needed for the proper functioning of the immune system)
Makes 4 portions
1 ripe avocado
1 ripe banana
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 tablespoons xylitol
How to make it
– cut the avo in half. Remove the pip from the centre and discard. Remove and discard the skin too.
– in a food processor, add the avo, banana, cocoa powder, and xylitol.
– zest and juice the orange and add both to the food processor.
– blend the mixture until completely smooth and dark chocolate brown. The sweetness and darkness can both be adjusted by adding more or less xylitol and cocoa powder. The xylitol can also be substituted with honey, a low calorie or non-nutritive sweetener.
– you can remove the orange and replace with another flavour variation like cinnamon, lemon zest etc.
– spoon the mousse into 4 glasses for serving and refrigerate until ready to serve.
– serve with fresh fruit or biscotti
The nutritional value serves 4:
Energy: 1075 kJ
Protein: 3 g
Carbohydrate: 17 g
Total fat: 19 g
Dietary Fibre: 6.5 g
Sodium: 46 mg
To download the recipe card, visit http://www.adsa.org.za/Public/Recipes.aspx