Beef and Butternut Casserole with Mushrooms and Tomato
We love the latest NutritionConfidence recipe from the authors of Food for Sensitive Tummies, registered dietitians Cath Day and Gabi Steenkamp! It is packed with vegetables (a whopping four servings), high in fibre and a good source of iron. Comfort food, which is still a healthy balanced meal.
This is a meal-in-one casserole, which is easy to prepare ahead of time. Perfect for dinner guests and to make during a very busy week. Butternut contains double the starch compared to the other vegetables, so may be used as a carbohydrate in this dish. Since there are four other vegetable servings, the butternut can serve as the starch of the meal.
RECIPE (Serves 4)
4 cloves garlic
2 rashers bacon, optional
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 t olive oil
2 bay leaves
1 butternut, large (800 g)
250 g mushrooms, mixed are most delicious
410 g tinned chopped tomatoes (1 x 410 g tin)
150 ml red wine, optional
500 g beef goulash pieces, check for minimal visible fat.
8 black olives
2.5 ml salt & freshly ground black pepper (½ t)
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC
- Peel the onion and chop. Trim, wash and slice the leek. Peel and slice the garlic.
- Heat a large pan or ovenproof casserole on medium heat.
- Finely slice the bacon. Pick the leaves off the rosemary sprig and chop finely.
- Pour the olive oil into the hot pan, add the sliced bacon, chopped rosemary and the bay leaves and gently fry, stirring regularly
- Add the sliced garlic, chopped onion and leek and cook for 10 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Meanwhile, peel and cut the butternut into bite size cubes and add to the pan.
- Clean the mushrooms and cut off the stems. Add both the stems and whole mushroom tops to the pan.
- Add the meat cubes, pour over the wine and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes.
- Rinse the tomato tin out with quarter tin of water and add to the pan or casserole.
- De-stone the olives by cutting in half. Add to the casserole and mix in gently.
- Bring the casserole to a boil and then place in the pre-heated oven to bake for 45 mins, until thick and delicious.
- Serve on its’ own as a complete balanced meal.
NUTRIENTS PER SERVING (600 g)
Energy 1918 kJ
Protein 30.3 g
Carbohydrates 31.3 g
Total sugars 4.5 g
Added sugar 0.0 g
Total Fat 18.5 g
Saturated fat 7.7 g
Fibre 7.7 g
Sodium 682 mg
One serving is equivalent to 1 carbohydrate, 4 proteins and 4 vegetables