Our first NutritionConfidence recipe for 2019 is a delicious bowl of food that is high in fibre, low in saturated fats but full of heart healthy fats. The ‘Spicy Tofu Bowl’ created by registered dietitian Julie Perks is dairy, wheat and gluten free and is also vegan with a lovely source of protein. People often don’t include tofu in their diet as they don’t know how to cook it or flavour it. We love how the spicy chilli sauce in this recipe lends a wonderful taste to the tofu that makes the bowl really delicious as a lunch or light dinner.
INGREDIENTS (Serves 1)
1 tablespoon chilli sauce (I used sriracha)
½ teaspoon olive oil
1 tablespoon soya sauce (or Tamari for Gluten Free)
1 cup spinach
½ medium avocado
½ cup black beans
1 small carrot, spiralized
5 baby tomatoes
1 tsp sesame seeds
Picked Radish & Onion:
¼ red onion
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon water
½ tsp sugar
Pinch of salt
Slice radish and onion finely and place in a small container with the other pickling ingredients and leave to stand until serving. The longer the onion and radishes pickle for, the softer they will become.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Make the marinade with the chilli sauce, olive oil and soya sauce by combining all the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Add the tofu to the marinade and once covered well, place onto a baking sheet.
- Place the tofu in a preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- While the tofu is cooking, start preparing the salad bowl by placing the spinach at the bottom of the bowl, followed by the spiralized carrots, tomatoes, black beans, pickled radish and onions and avocado.
- After the tofu has been in the oven for 10 minutes, turn and cook for a further 10 minutes. Once cooked, remove from the oven and add to the tofu bowl.
- Garnish with lemon juice.
Nutrition Information: Per serving
Energy: 1225 kJ Protein: 14g Carbohydrate: 25g Of which, total sugars: 2,2 g Fat: 17g Fibre: 11g Sodium: 200,4 mg
2 thoughts on “Spicy Tofu Bowl”