This mouth watering sesame chicken recipe was created by the lovely Cheryl Meyer, registered dietitian and food blogger from Dish and Delight.
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 skinless, deboned chicken breasts, cubed (approx. 125 g each – 500 g)
3 tablespoons low-sodium soya sauce
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
1 teaspoon crushed ginger
1 teaspoon corn flour
⅓ cup finely chopped spring onion (optional – extra to garnish)
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds, to garnish
salt and pepper, to season
- Season chicken cubes with salt and pepper.
- Sauté chicken in olive oil, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through.
- While chicken is cooking, whisk together the soya sauce, apple cider vinegar, honey, garlic, ginger, and corn flour until combined.
- When the chicken is cooked through, add the spring onions and soy sauce mixture to the pan and stir to coat the chicken – the sauce will thicken quickly.
- Stir in sesame oil, then remove from heat and enjoy.
Serve over cooked rice, cauliflower rice, zucchini noodles or quinoa with steamed broccoli, stir-fried mixed veggies or cooked green beans topped a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds and spring onion slices.
This is simple Asian cooking at its best, a quick dinner that tastes like takeout but you control the ingredients, you control the flavor.
What the dietitians says:
Tip: measure the olive oil in your tablespoon before the honey, so it slides out easily.
Nutrition Information: Per serving
Energy: 1017 kJ Protein: 29.8 g Carbohydrate: 10.8 g Of which, total sugars: 8.7 g Fat: 11.4 g Fibre: 0.5 g Sodium: 556 mg