GREEK STYLE CHICKEN FOIL PACKET DINNER
This delicious Greek style Chicken foil packet dinner was formulated by Registered Dietitian Cheryl Meyer from Dish & Delite.
- 500 g skinless, deboned chicken breasts, cubed (3-4 chicken breasts)
- 250 g baby potatoes, skins on, quartered
- 2 large or 3 medium-sized peppers (any colour), sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oreganum, roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup pitted kalamata olives, sliced
- 1 round of feta cheese, crumbled
- salt & pepper, to season
- Stir together garlic, olive oil, red wine vinegar, rosemary and oreganum to make a herb vinaigrette.
- In a large bowl combine baby potatoes, peppers, onion and lemon. Stir through the vinaigrette to coat the vegetables.
- Take a long piece of heavy duty foil or fold light-weight foil in half for a double layer.
- Center a quarter of the chicken mixture on each sheet.
- Top your chicken with the vegetable mixture. Divide and pour over any herb vinaigrette remaining in the bowl.
- To make packets: Fold over one side, fold the edges together and press to seal. Double fold the remaining 2 edges to make a small packet, leaving room for steam to circulate inside the packet.
- Transfer the packets to a baking sheet and oven bake at 200°C for 30-45 minutes until chicken is cooked through and potatoes are fork tender. Cut slits in the foil to release steam before opening. Top with olives and feta and enjoy.
The 2-3 cloves of fresh minced garlic can be substituted with 1 teaspoon crushed garlic.
If you don’t have fresh herbs on hand, substitute 1 teaspoon dried for 1 tablespoon fresh.
The fresh herbs and bright lemon flavour of this simple recipe. Foil packet cooking allows the flavours inside to intensify as the food cooks in its own steam.
What the dietitian says:
You need 1-2 tablespoons of liquid per packet to create the steaming effect and to infuse the other ingredients with flavour. Alternative liquids to the vinaigrette listed in the recipe that you could try: wine, stock, vegetable juice, soy sauce, your favourite sauce or marinade.
Nutrition Information: Per serving
Energy: 1299 kJ Protein: 32.9 g Carbohydrate: 16.4 g Of which, total sugars: 1.7 g Fat: 1.7 g Fibre: 3.1 g Sodium: 455 mg