By Michelle Zietsman
Serves: Makes 14 date balls
For the date balls
- 1 cup dried dates, soaked in boiling water for 20 minutes and then drained
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup tinned chickpeas, rinsed well and drained
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
For the chocolate coating
- 80 g dark chocolate slab
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Blend the oats in the food processor until it becomes oat flour.
- Add the dates and chickpeas and blend until smooth. Gradually add some water if the mixture is very stiff.
- Add the salt, coconut flakes and cocoa powder and blend until smooth.
- Roll into balls and let it set in the fridge.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave and then add the coconut oil and combine.
- Coat your date balls with the melted chocolate by dipping it into the chocolate, covering it and removing it with a spoon.
- Place on a cutting board or large oven dish with wax paper.
- Let it set in the fridge and keep it stored in the fridge.
Sweet treats can definitely be part of a healthy diet and can be consumed on occasion and in moderation!
We love it!
Legumes, like chickpeas, are some of the most versatile, nutrient-dense and affordable foods to add to your meals and even treats!
This recipe is vegan friendly if vegan chocolate is used!
Legumes are concentrated sources of fibre and provide us with protein, iron and zinc without the saturated fat and cholesterol.
Nutrient analysis per serving
Energy: 465kJ | CHO: 15g (of which sugar 10.1g) | Prot: 2.9g | Fat: 3.5g (of which sat fat 1.9g) | Fibre: 3.2g | Sodium: 2mg
2 thoughts on “DATE AND CHICKPEA BROWNIE BITES”