By: Mico Price
Serves: 4-6 people
- 1 punnet or 250g mushrooms, quartered
- ½ – 1 pepper, chopped
- 6 cups chopped spinach or baby spinach leaves
- Olives, pitted
- Sundried tomatoes (in olive oil/rehydrate in warm water for 30 minutes or until soft)
- 1 aubergine
- 1 tsp crushed garlic or 2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Any pasta of your preference.
- Slice the aubergine into 1cm thick discs.
- Place on a tray and sprinkle with coarse salt. Set for 30 minutes. Rinse and pat dry with a paper towel. Cut into cubes.
- In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil and add the crushed garlic, chopped aubergine, mushrooms and pepper and fry until soft and cooked.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the spinach and cover with a lid until the spinach is soft. About 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in the sundried tomatoes and olives and allow to cook for 5 minutes.
- Boil the pasta. Retain some of the pasta water.
- Add the pasta to the cooked veggies and cook for a further 5 minutes. If you prefer your pasta to be saucier add some of the pasta water that was retained.
- Season as needed.
Nutrient analysis per serving:
Energy: 1239kJ | CHO: 50.2g (of which 0.8 g sugar) | Prot: 11.8 g | Fat: 5g(of which 61 mg cholesterol) | Fibre: 2.6g
We love it:
This is a very versatile plant based recipe and you can add a lean protein source of your choice. Kids love it too!
This recipe is very low in total fat, which makes it suitable for people with chronic lifestyle diseases such as heart disease, diabetes and hypertension.