By Kelly Francis
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato (roasted)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 whole eggs, large
- 1/2 cup plain, fat free yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups oat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a muffin tray with paper cups
- Make oat flour by grinding rolled oats until fine. Measure 2 cups after grinding.
- Add the sweet potato, the oil, eggs, yoghurt and vanilla into a large bowl and whisk to combine
- In a separate bowl, mix the sugar, oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon
- Add the dry ingredient mixture to the wet mixture and stir until combined
- Spoon the mixture into 12 paper muffin cups and bake for 20 – 25 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.
Nutrient analysis per serving
Energy: 287kJ | CHO: 21.7g (of which sugar 4.5g) | Prot: 3.95g | Fat: 21.3g (of which sat fat 3.8g) | Fibre: 2.5g | Sodium: 257.4mg
We love it:
This recipe is easy to prepare, stores well and is perfect for on-the-go, one-handed snacking while breastfeeding or carrying a baby!
Both sweet potato and oats are nutrient dense sources of fibre which make them a perfect substitute for white flour. Nutrient density is important for busy moms.
Top tip: The mixture is stickier than a traditional muffin recipe