Get to know Cindy Chin, who serves on the ADSA Executive Committee 2021 – 2023 in the Communications portfolio (and she is the Woolworths dietitian)!
- Tell us a bit more of yourself?
I live in Cape Town, I have two beautiful daughters (almost both teens) and an amazing husband. I enjoy experimenting in the kitchen with new recipes and ingredients, and gardening when I have the time!
- Why did you become a Registered Dietitian?
I’m passionate about helping people to improve their diet and lifestyle.
I love the science of nutrition and the psychology of eating.
I love food (most types).
- What would you have wanted to do if not Dietetics?
Accounting, but I can’t imagine myself doing that today!
- Where did you study (degree and/ or postgrad)
Wits (BSc undergrad), UCT (BSc Hons Nutr & Diet), Stellenbosch (MSc Ther Nutr) (almost finished!)
- Where do you work and what does your job entail?
Woolworths Foods. As the Nutrition manager, my role is to inform, direct and enable the delivery of the nutrition strategy across the foods business, through science-based nutritional expertise, strategic partnerships and thought leadership.
- Walk us through a day in your life?
No day is the same but it usually entails a mixture of responding to emails and attending virtual meetings that are comprised of giving guidance to product teams, providing strategic input into various initiatives, presenting nutrition insights and training, signing off marketing comms, writing/reviewing nutritional guidelines, scanning research and attending webinars to stay up-skilled.
- What do you enjoy most about the work you do? What are the most satisfying moments?
Making a difference to the nutritional quality of the foods people purchase, challenging better product development, the privilege of setting and driving nutritional standards for a major food retailer
- What has been your career highlight?
I would have to say that travelling internationally with colleagues has probably been a career highlight. Experiencing good food with foodie fanatics is highly recommended!
- What are the most challenging aspects of your career?
Influencing and negotiating in a commercial environment; translating complex scientific information into a retail-specific context; dispelling pseudoscience
- What is something that people don’t know about you?
I like imagining a futuristic world so enjoy science fiction/fantasy books and movies like Lord of the Rings, Marvel, and reading the classics like Charles Dickens and Jane Austen.
- What are your favourite foods?
I love almost all types of foods, but Cantonese cuisine is my favourite.
- What are the three things that you think people should stop saying when they meet a dietitian?
- Is this healthy? (points at their plate of food)
- What do you think about *insert latest fad diet name*?
- I hope the dietitian approves.