Recipe by registered dietitian, Lila Bruk.
- 100g frozen cherries*
- 1 tblsp chia seeds
- 80ml almond milk
- 70g cooked, cooled oats (20g raw)
- 1 tbsp smooth fat-free cottage cheese
- 1 tsp cocoa
- 1 tsp raw honey
- Handful of ice
If frozen cherries are not available, use any frozen berry (e.g. blueberries) as an alternative.
Blend, top with sliced cherries and enjoy!
• Why we love it: Smoothies are very popular, but very often drinking your breakfast does not feel as satisfying as eating your breakfast. Smoothie bowls are the perfect solution, because they require you to use a spoon, which instantly makes the smoothie bowl feel like more of a meal (and thus more satisfying) than a regular liquid breakfast smoothie.
• Dietitians say:
– Cherries are amazing little powerhouses packed with the antioxidants anthocyanins, which assist with reducing inflammation and reducing the risk of heart disease and stroke. Combine them here with phytonutrient-rich cocoa for the ultimate combo!
– In addition, this delicious breakfast is rich in fibre and protein, so should keep your blood glucose levels stable until your next meal or snack.
• Top tips:
– The cherries can easily be replaced with blueberries depending on seasonal availability.
– You can add more cocoa if you want it to be extra chocolate-y, but it will make it less sweet.
– You may need to add more milk if the mixture is too thick
– You can use raw oats if you prefer, but cooked oats provide a better, creamier texture
Nutritional information per bowl:
Total fat 6.6g
Saturated fat 0.7g
Trans fat 0g
Polyunsaturated fat 4g
Monounsaturated fat 1.5g
Total Carbohydrates 41.6g
Dietary fibre 9.5g
Added Sugar 0g