This month’s recipe is by registered dietitian, Retha Harmse.
A classic Spanish rice dish with a healthier twist. We used wholegrain brown rice, added extra veggies but kept the delicious prawns, calamari, mussels, clams and shrimp and loaded with flavour.
This delicious recipe is very filling, has a low glycaemic index and is high in Omega 3 and unsaturated fatty acids.
Preparation & Cooking: 40 min
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1 cup wholegrain brown rice
• 1 can chopped tomatoes
• 2 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
• 1 tbsp hot sauce (eg Tabasco or Sriracha sauce)
• 2 tsp paprika
• 1 tsp saffron (optional)
• 500g mixed seafood mix
• 300g chopped cabbage (red and white cabbage), spinach, carrots or any other veggie of choice
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Spring onions, chopped (for garnish)
- To a paella pan, add the oil and onion and cook for 2 minutes until the onion becomes translucent and soft. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the uncooked rice and can of tomatoes to the pan and stir well. Let the rice cook in the sauce from the tomatoes for about 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock, hot sauce, paprika, saffron and season with salt and pepper if needed. Stir everything together and cover with the lid.
- Cook for roughly 15 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed by the rice. The rice will not be cooked through at this time.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop your vegetables of choice to resemble a shredded stir-fry.
- Turn down the heat and stir the rice around a bit. Add the vegetables and seafood mix and gently fold it in. Cover with a lid again and cook for another 10 minutes (if using mussels or clams in the shell, this cooking time will be until the mussels and clams open).
- Turn off the heat and garnish with chopped spring onions.
Nutrition information per serving:
• Energy 1685 kJ
• Protein 26.7
• Carbohydrate 52g
• Of which total sugar 11.1g
• Total fat 6.8 g
• Of which saturated fat 0.9 g
• Dietary fibre 7.6 g
• Total sodium 970 mg
• GI (estimated) 52
3 thoughts on “Seafood & stirfry Paella”